Contesting Your Property Value

Contact Assessor first ...

If you disagree with the Assessor's value, you should first discuss your disagreement with the Assessor's Office. If the Assessor's Office does not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, you will still have the right to file an appeal with the Assessment Appeals Board.

Filing an Assessment Appeal

The Board of Supervisors appoints three-member Assessment Appeals Boards which convene in the Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration. The Board of Supervisors also appoints Hearing Officers which convene in outlying areas of the County. An Assessment Appeals Board or Hearing Officer will consider all evidence presented by the property owner and the Assessor's Office, and determine the value of the property. Appeals on supplemental or corrected assessments must be filed within 60 days of either the date of mailing printed on the tax bill or postmark date whichever is later. Appeals on regular assessments must be filed between July 2 and November 30. Appeals must be filed with the Assessment Appeals Board, Room B-50, Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration, 500 W. Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012-2770.

Click Here to watch a video about the assessment appeals process.

Home | Site Map | Contact | Printer-Friendly Version